Since y’all likely need a break from my July blogging challenge posts, it’s REVIEW TIME!!! Yuppers. Just as you’re getting ready for your first (or 20th) homeschool year I have the PERFECCT review for you!! With this installment I’ll be sharing my opinions of the Homeschool Planet online planner brought to us by the Homeschool Buyers Co-op. If you are interested in other reviews from the Review Crew, you can click HERE or click on the banner below.
How does it work?
Homeschool Planet is an online planner to help you manage your homeschool life, and your real life. I don’t know about you, but sometimes things in my life fall through the cracks – like taking the dog to the vet, or the once a quarter orthodontist appointments, or keeping the kids up with their writing journals. Maybe it’s just me. I don’t think so because Homeschool Planet wouldn’t have been developed to make sure we don’t miss any of that stuff again!
Homeschool Planet is an online planner. You can start your membership (normally $65/year or $6.95/month) with a FREE 30 day trial. I am all about trials and seeing if planners will fit, so I love that option. Once you log on, you can start setting up your planner. You begin with adding students to your roster (and parents), and then setting up classes and assignments. The general idea is to set up your whole school plan so you then send daily emails with assignments, or print our schedules for your students to complete. You can integrate all the normal planner features, too – like appointment reminders, grocery lists, and more. Once your schedule is set, you’re set too.
I’ll admit that I’m a bit of a homeschool planner skeptic. I have used a few and spent WAY too many frustrating hours inputting data, only to find that printing, sharing, or tracking the information was cumbersome and too much hassle to be worthwhile. Homeschool Planet COMPLETELY changed my opinion of homeschool planners. 100%. Honestly, I’ve recommended this product to all my local friends. It’s awesome. Seriously. Awesome.
Why the love-fest?
* Insanely simple and intuitive to add students.
* Similarly simple to add classes and assignments. For example – we use Saxon Math. The kids do 4 lessons and take a test. You’d think that would be an easy pattern to enter. It is – in Homeschool Planet. Simple, actually.
* You can add links and resources so easily to lesson plans. This is huge for me with some of my Mom Designed classes. I love this feature!!
* Moving and sliding classes around is simple, too. This has frustrated me to no end with other products. Let’s say, just for an example, that I want to take a three day trip and just move those days to a new day, and slide my whole schedule back 3 days. In other planners, I just could not figure it out (and not for lack of trying or learning). With Homeschool Planet – three clicks and you’re set. I LOVE THAT!
* Chore planning – SIMPLE!! Just list classes, I can add or move what I need. Lets say I want one chore to be “M-Th vacuum the living room, but F vacuum the whole downstairs”? DONE. Easy peasy.
* Printing is great. What chores and assignments? Done. Just chores? OK. Or, just assignments, OK! Seriously.
* Two kids taking the same class – so, so easy to do. Unlike other programs where it’s copying and pasting, and hoop jumping…. Nope. Just a couple of clicks and it’s done.
* Transcript worries? No problem!!
Any bad parts?
There is only one, tiny nit-picking thing that I would change… I would love to see an offline planner that you could buy once and be done. I have lots of rural friends, and logging on to manage everything is sketchy, and expensive. I’d love a one-and-done option, even if it cost more.
Other Cool Things?
Do you want to text your grocery list to your spouse to hit the store on the way home? Done! Remind yourself to return library books? Done. Access your schedule on your phone to see if you can commit to teaching at a co-op. Done. Seriously. Homeschool Planet is an amazing program with so many options I didn’t even have the time to explore, but instead of getting more complex as you get deeper – it gets easier!!
I rarely rave here. Sometimes I get excited. I’m usually upbeat and positive. But Homeschool Planet rocks and has caused me to rave. If you, like most of us, are in the throes of planning the year ahead, sign up for the free trial of Homeschool Planet. Set up a class or two in the schedule. Give it a test drive. You won’t regret it!!